Sport Trainers Squared – STS
It is known that migrants are underrepresented in sport activities at different levels. According to the White Paper on Sports (2007) “the accessibility of sport activity needs to be ensured for all citizens (…) the specific needs and situation of under-represented groups must be addressed”. In fact, European scholars support the hypothesis on the benefits of sport for ethnic inclusion. The participants of the “Sport trainers squared” project will determine methods that can be used to prepare migrants to become sport trainers. The initiative will identify the existing knowledge of sport coaches to train migrants and elaborate an online course based on their needs. Most importantly, it will empower disadvantaged migrants and prepare them to become Sport Instructors through ETS, which also will help their further professional activation.
START: 1/01/2023 – END: 3/06/2025
PROJECT REFERENCE: ERASMUS-SPORT-2022-SCP- 101090926
EU GRANT: 250000 €
KEY ACTION: CP Big Sport Collaborative Partnership
ACTION TYPE: ERASMUS-LS
- FUNDACJA UKRAINA, Poland(Coordinator)
- NGO NEST BERLIN EV, Germany
- L ORMASOCIETA SPORTIVA DILETTANTISTICA A RESPONSABILITA LIMITATA, Italy
- RADIOTELEVIZIJA SLOVENIJA JAVNI ZAVOD LJUBLJANA (Slovenia)
- SYMPLEXIS (Greece)
- ASOCIACION CULTURAL Y DEPORTIVA LAHOYA, Spain
“Sport trainers squared” focuses on the priority of Collaborative Partnerships “to encourage social inclusion and equal opportunities through sport”. The project will deal with the issue of the underrepresentation of ethnic minorities in non-playing roles in the sport sector, using the integration potential of sport.
The project will focus on encouraging disadvantaged migrants to become Sport Instructors through the training of operators (sport coaches and trainers) that work with this target group, always using the ETS methodology.
“Sport trainers squared” considers two main target groups, which are:
- Sport coaches working with migrant sport instructors through ETS.
Sport operators will participate in training based on the Education Through Sport methodology, with the goal to acquire more skills to operate with migrant groups. The specific aim is to foster professional development in the sport sector.
- Immigrants who want to improve their curriculum and work in the field of sport.
Migrants are beneficiaries of local activities.
At the end of the training, they should have developed their skills as sport instructors, coaches, managers of sport events and leadership. The acquisition of this knowledge will make them more involved in the sport field, gaining also the necessary skills to start their business and to become entrepreneurs.
“Sport trainers squared” will focus on encouraging disadvantaged migrants to become Sport Instructors through the formation of operators (sport coaches and trainers) that work with this target group.
The specific objectives planned are:
- To identify methods and practices to be used to prepare migrants to become sport trainers, and to produce a training format.
- To identify the existing knowledge of sport coaches to train migrants, elaborating an online course based on their needs.
- To empower disadvantaged migrants and prepare them to become Sport Instructors through ETS.
The project also aims to raise awareness about the issue of migrant discrimination, such as higher rates of unemployment and poverty, and their low representation in sports. This content will be targeted toward the overall population, including sport coaches, educational institutions, policymakers.
APPROACH / METHODOLOGY
The objectives and activities are strictly linked with the purpose of achieving concrete impacts in the community. Specifically
- To identify methods and practices that can be used to prepare migrants to become sport trainers and to include research material in a training format.
- To identify the existing knowledge of sport coaches in order to train migrants, elaborating an online course based on their needs.
The research will lead to the identification of the needs of migrants and sport coaches. Then, the methodology of elaboration of educational products will allow creating both a training format for migrants and to elaborate educational curriculum of sport trainers, which will be adapted to online settings and inserted in a web platform.
The main activities of STS will include:
- Research to identify the needs of sport trainers and of migrants interested in becoming sport trainers.
- Educational Curriculum of Sport Coaches working with Migrants.
- Online Course for sport coaches (to be integrated in the project’s web platform)
- Training Format for Migrants.
The transnational Project meetings are the following:
- Kick-off Meeting, (3 days), Wroclaw (Poland)– Lead: FUNDACJA UKRAINA
- 2° Meeting, (3 days), Berlin (Germany)– Lead: NEST BERLIN
- 3° Meeting, (3 days), Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina) – Lead: L’ORMA; BRAVO
- Final Meeting, (2 days), Nicosia (Cyprus)– Lead: ACD LA HOYA
The activities of the project are lead by each partner, as following:
WP1: Project management and coordination – Lead: FUNDACJA UKRAINA
- To prepare a Management Plan
- To prepare a Partnership Agreement
- To host the first transnational meeting
- To check the timetable
- To guide the Management Team
- To communicate with the European Commission
- To write the Sustainability Plan
WP2: Research – Lead: NEST BERLIN
- To lay the research’s methodology and structure
- To host the second transnational meeting
- To elaborate the research report
WP3: Educational Curriculum and Training Format – Lead: L’ORMA; BRAVO
- To elaborate the curriculum
- To elaborate the training
- To elaborate the evaluation questionnaires
- To host the third transnational meeting
- To improve the final documents
WP4: Monitoring and Evaluation – Lead: ACD LA HOYA
- To prepare a Monitoring Plan
- Toelaborate qualitative questionnaires
- To host the last transnational meeting
WP5: Dissemination – Lead: CSI
- To create a Dissemination plan
- To create a logo and physical materials
- Tomanage social media
- To transform the educational format
- To launch the web platform
- To share the project in EPAS
For more information check our Facebook pages.